Tuesday, January 4, 2011

In flight.

January 2, 2011: Dallas – Paris

So here I am, actually on the plane. En route to France. Ever since my mom told me what study abroad was back in middle school, I have been waiting for this day. I looked at colleges just to see what their abroad programs were and made decisions that way. I have envisioned this day for so long, and now that the reality of it is upon me, I must admit, it is a little surreal. I feel like I’m in a dream state. I know I am leaving behind many loved ones, that I am about to go on an adventure, that I am going to come back changed.
Now, I cannot pinpoint all those changes. Perhaps I’ll be fluent in another language; perhaps I’ll be leaving behind a French family that has become like another family to me, perhaps a group of foreign friends. I can only hope that those things do indeed come true, but those are not the ones I am really excited for. It is the unknown morphesis that is making me anxious, excited, and adrenaline-filled.
France: a country known to me, Bordeaux: a new French city for me. It is the unknown that will shape me the most. A city unfamiliar will transition into familiar, a language studied will transform into a language spoken. A nationality admired will become my own. Who knows what great times I’ll have on this voyage. Who knows how long it will take me to adjust. But I don’t focus on that. The fact of the matter is, that I am going to have experiences, I will adjust and I will live a dual life.
Right now I am above the clouds and crystal blue sky is above me. The world (or at least Europe) is mine for the exploring. I am nervous and excited, happy and sad, nostalgic and futuristic. All in all, I am pumped. Let’s see how this unfolds. Let’s see if I make my connecting flight in Dallas. Let’s do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment