Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wandering the Streets of Bordeaux

    So my first week in Bordeaux is coming to a close. It was quite an eventful one but also easier than I anticipated it being. Sure, the whole speaking French thing is super difficult and tiresome, but the adjustment to the Brouat's (my host family) and the intensive language program has been good. I had about 6 hours of grammar classes each day which sucked, but afterwards most of the students would go downtown to explore and get phones/cafés/tram cards. It is fun that all of us are trying to get the same things done at the same time so we can help each other out. Downtown is beautiful and the buildings have so much history in them. I cannot wait to explore further.
     I went for my first run Friday afternoon because class got out early. There is a park in Mérignac (the suburb I live in) called Bois des Bruck...woods of someone famous I'm sure. Gorgeous is an understatement. To get there, its a mile run through some vinyards and then a forest-type thing-wowww. There is a dirt path around the forest and other paths that go through it. There were a tonn of joggers there which surprised and pleased me at the same time. I didn't get a chance to run the whole loop as it was sunset and I was so astonished by the beauty that I honestly would stop in my tracks to take it in. I need to go back there with my camera and try to capture the essence of this place. Needless to say, I think I'll come back in better shape than I had anticipated.


     Friday night, pretty much everyone in my program went out together. We meet at la victoire which is the center of the night life here. Its just, you know, a massive square with bars surrounding it, about 100 other students and a big historic arch in the middle, no big. Really, it was quite the scene. We got there at 11ish and went to Café des Sports which was just an american sports bar but more sketch. It was like a frat really. Tons of people, expensive booze and American top 40. Not my ideal night, but it was a good kick off. I know we were pegged as the American's which I really want to avoid in the future.
    Saturday I met the mom of Pascal, my host dad. She made lunch for us. Somehow, I ended up in a conversation about the police and what they can and can't do in the US if people are drinking underage at a private house party. Pretty sure I butchered that one because I don't know ANY of the vocab for that, but I think they got the basics. After, Mattis (7 year old host brother) hung out in my room for a while and made me play Michael Jackson's "Beat It" 'about 100 times. He is so darn cute.

    Saturday night I met up with Lea, another participant in the program, for un café. We found a super cute italian restaurant on the river that had some bomb desserts. We felt so French even though we spoke English the whole time. That area seemed a little more local and less crazy than la victoire and I can't wait to go to some bars around there.


    I was supposed to go to a party with a French friend of a Davis friend, but was too tired to be super social and the last tram leaves at 1:15 am but he wasn't getting off work til 11. So I just came home. I'm surprised with how comfortable I feel in the city at night. At first I was nervous to take the tram by myself at night, but it has been packed for the last two nights at 12:30 and 1:15. Maybe it's because I have never lived in a city before, but I love having people around all the time. I have honestly felt safe this entire week. Lets hope that continues!
    Anyways, this post is probably more detailed than it needs to be and its poorly written so I'll edit it tomorrow and add pictures.

Bonne Nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment