Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Week 1 Reflections

Posting this one a little late, and I should be studying, but whatever. I'm in France!

   Week 1 is pretty much over. This time last week, I was on a plane, figuratively and literally groundless. My family was miles further away every minute and my friends were returning to comfortable Davis. And I was on a plane, about to enter a family I had never met before and speak a language 24/7 that I had only studied for a few hours a week.
   I must admit however, that the transition has been easy thus far. The Brouat's have made me feel completely at home here, the other US students became an automatic support system. We are here for the same reasons. We became close before we even said hello.
   Adrianna, Lea, Sandy, Evelyn, Kirk and I hit it off immediately, as well as with many others. Big groups of us effectively took over Bordeaux. While I want to avoid being pegged as American at all costs, it has been great hanging out with everyone. I guess I'll let it slide for now. And I pass as French on the tram, so ok.
   I feel independent, taking the tram late at night and alone, getting a phone on my own, and getting to and from where I need to be totally by myself. Although part of me still wants an apartment of my own, I am finding my independence--and what is wonderful is that the Brouat's expect it. I was worried about having to check in with them and feeling awkward about going out, but they have told me to do so.
   Tonight, I had a debate with Kareen and Pascal about religion, le porte de vol (Muslim's wearing the burka in public schools), dogmas and the fee hikes at the UCs. I was rather impressed with my comprehension and my french. It was an interesting conversation and I loved getting a native-view.
   I am nervous about the French course, but am feeling for confident (maybe not anymore..figuring that I should be studying for a grammar test right now but am instead doing this...). Hopefully the rest of the intensive language program goes well and my confidence restored a little bit.
   Alright there were the reflections of week 1. I hope I'm disciplined enough to do this every week.

Now to end with, the bizarre habits of the French people: Week 1:
-In the middle of class, for our break, our professor will say "on va boire un café maintenant". So we literally all go to the café and get a coffee/hot chocolate/croissant for 20 mins. No more of that mid-class 5 min break Davis gives us. THIS is a real break. Go France.
-They put French Fries in EVERYTHING. We had kebobs one day (basically Bordeaux's version of the Halah truck in Davis) and put French fries in it. I ordered a ham/cheese baguette at another place, and there were french fries in it. Now I understand why they are called "french" fries.
-I guess the cool kids say "saucé" for cool. So, translated literally, "thats saucy". I haven't been able to bring myself to say this without laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment