Thursday, May 26, 2011

So this person called the Queen took over Ireland

This is a week late, but Ireland was an adventure. I met up with Bridget and Monica (her sister) on the way to the center and learned that the queen was in town and the city was in a mess because of it. There were barriers everywhere and the Garda (Irish police) were running security. The pubs were luckily still open and we were able to eat some traditional food.

 Queen Security
 Closest I got to the Guinness Factory
At least I saw her!

We stayed with Bridget and Monica's distant cousins a little outside of Dublin. They were so accommodating and we shared many good conversations about the tension Ireland felt about an English monarch being in the country. I was completely in the dark about the deep controversy and found it fascinating to talk to some locals about what they thought.

The sad thing was that the Queen had shut down all the major attractions like Trinity College and yes, the Guinness factory. We were able to make the most of it, but it was still a shame to miss some of the things I really wanted to see. Oh well, I got an official whiskey taster certificate at the Jameson factory and was able to spend some good time with Bridget.


 Whiskey-Ginger Ale


A few days in, I ventured down south to Cork to experience solo travelling. It started out ridiculously stressful, as I found out my debit card had been cancelled and therefore had no access to cash. This is where Irish angel of the trip #2 came into play (angel #1 was a guy in a grocery story that waved the 10 euro minimum for cards for me in order to buy dinner). Angel #2 was the manager at my hostel. He acted as an ATM and refunded me 30 euro for the hostel in cash. I am proud to say that I was able to spend 3 days in Cork on 30e cash.
 View from my hostel



I took a day trip to Bandon for a few hours to see the country side. This is where I realized what Ireland was for me:

Ireland, the place I want to leave, but also stay. It is a cool place to visit, sure, but I either need less time for a WOOFing job. The south is better than the north and the tiny towns in the countryside are charming. I can see myself coming back here, only to hike and WOOF. Bandon is a town one can easily become a local-- the people are super sweet and are constantly running into people they know. I could get comfortable here. I love the multi-colored houses, the fact I could not find the tourist office and the river.


So thank you Mitch, for energizing me about Ireland. I enjoyed the country and may return, but now, onto the next grand adventure: 4 weeks travelling with Stephanie and Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment